Tuesday 23 October 2007

New poll is up - how do you like killing monsters in roguelikes?

If you're stuck for ideas, I've discussed previously the number of different ways in Unangband you can kill them enemy, and even provided a handy table to help you figure out the advantages and disadvantages of each. Of course, with the introduction of allied monsters in Unangband, those methods have expanded considerably.

Please feel free to comment on the poll under this post. I'm surprised that Blogspot don't make the option available directly under the poll...

I'd particularly like to hear back from people who reported having problems getting Unangband running. You may want to look at this thread on angband.oook.cz to see if this helps you.

7 comments:

Gareth LovesTha Pye said...

If I could run through a room and cause the monsters to attack each other, like Doom allowed, I'd really love that :)

Andrew Doull said...

Its not out of the question - you can confuse monsters in Unangband and drive them mad in Sangband IIRC. This will allow them to accidentally shoot each other.

Gavin said...

A distantly-related aside: I've got a linux binary. Would that be useful ?

Andrew Doull said...

Its always worth uploading... either give me a link, or set up a berlios.de account and let me know the details and I can give you upload access there.

Gavin said...

cool. I've made a build of rev 1595. You can get it here:
http://pedantic.co.za/unangband/

If you want any more builds done just drop me a line. It is but the work of a moment.

Gavin said...

I just thought of another thing to ask. You don't appear to have any unit tests. Is there a reason for that ?

Andrew Doull said...

Ah... testing.

Establish unit testing coverage would be quite hard - and the main bugs are more unexpected interactions between different areas of code.

You can try running the dumb borg (^Z). That does a degree of testing coverage over about 80% of the code-base (I'm guessing) using a 'fake' player.